Bangalore, Dec 29: Minister of State (MoS) for Home Kiren Rijiju on Monday confirmed that Sunday’s bomb blast in Bangalore was a terror attack and added that the case might be handed over to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) for further probe.
The minister said: “Security and alertness needs to be enhanced. This was definitely a terror attack. The police are investigating, but there is a possibility that it will be convenient for the NIA to take over the Bangalore case. Home Minister Rajnath Singh needs to take the decision.”
Earlier, Rijiju had spoken to Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh about the attack and had assured every kind of assistance to the state.
Meanwhile, Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah is holding an emergency meeting with senior police and intelligence officials to review the security.
Before going in for the meeting, he confirmed that Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has offered Central help for the investigation.
Bangalore Police Commissioner M N Reddi also said that special teams have been deployed to investigate the blast.
Reddi said: “An improvised explosive device was used in the blast. Investigations are on; special teams are examining all clues. The possibility that it might be a terror attack cannot be ruled out. However, it’s too premature to say anything as no one has claimed any responsibility.”
Meanwhile, Deputy Chief of Police (DCP) Sandeep Patil said that a forensic team had investigated the area and the statements of eye witnesses are being taken.
Patil further said: “The forensic team investigated the area, and the CCTV footage will be gone through. Investigation is underway. We are going to talk to the eyewitnesses and our teams are also going to Pune and Chennai.”
Earlier on Sunday, a woman was killed and three others were injured in an explosion triggered by an IED in front of the restaurant.
The blast occurred around 8.30 pm near the Coconut Grove restaurant in Bangalore’s Church Street.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah has reportedly announced a compensation of five lakh rupees to the kin of the woman who was killed in the blast.
The security has also been beefed up in New Delhi following the incident.
(With Agency Inputs)