New Delhi, July 29: The BCCI on Wednesday made it very clear that it was not having second thoughts on revoking the ban on former India pacer S Sreesanth and spinner Ankeet Chavan following a Delhi Court decision to drop all charges against them.
Last week, Patiala House Court discharged all the 36 accused persons including Sreesanth, Chavan and Ajit Chandila in the IPL 2013 spot-fixing case but the Indian board had refused to lift their ongoing ban.
The Kerala Cricket Association had made a plea to the BCCI for allowing Sreesanth to play again but Thakur said there
will be no rethink on the life ban of the two cricketers.
Thakur told reporters: “The earlier decision of BCCI’s disclipinary commitee ban on this case will stay on.”
He further said: “Disciplinary proceedings are different, criminal proceedings are different. The action taken in the past were based on the disciplinary action for the indiscipline of these players, reports submmitted by the the anti-corruption unit. So the same decision of ban will continue on these players.”
All the three accused cricketers had to spend time in jail during the course of investigation.
Of the three, Sreesanth and Chavan are currently serving life bans imposed by the BCCI after the scandal shook the high-profile league, while Chandila’s hearing is still on.
(With Agency Inputs)