Ceasefire violation: Pakistan targets 50 BSF posts; India strikes 37 Pak posts, kills 15

Indian Army guarding J&K border to reply Pakistan ceasefire violations.

New Delhi, Oct 7: The International Border with Pakistan remains tense as Indian security forces unleashed “massive retaliation” on Tuesday against the unprovoked firing by Pakistan Rangers that began on October 1.

The intelligence sources told a newspaper that Indian troops have also targeted 37 Pakistani border posts, resulting in around 15 deaths, more than 30 injured and serious damage to outposts manned by the Pakistani Rangers,

So far, India has lost six people and sustained 13 injuries in Pakistani firing in the Jammu sector, part of a five-fold increase in ceasefire violations on the IB this year to 41.

The Pak rangers have targeted as many as 50 BSF posts in the shelling that continued till 7 am on Wednesday morning. However, no fresh overnight firing was reported along the Line of Control on Wednesday, said the report.

Earlier on Tuesday, in the firing of Pakistani troops twelve people including a Junior Commissioned Officer were injured as 40 Border Out Posts and 25 border hamlets were targeted with heavy mortar shells in Jammu sector and LoC areas in Poonch district.

Defence Minister Arun Jaitley held a meeting with the chiefs of the Indian Army, Navy and the Air Force on Tuesday. India has also stopped flag meeting with the Pakistan Army, and has decided to wait for Islamabad to make the first move.

Sources in the government said: “The BSF has been asked to put on hold the proposal for flag meeting with Pakistan. India has now decided to wait for Pakistan to make the first move.”

Despite an early morning meeting between the Directors General of Military Operation (DGMO) of both sides, the shelling continued on Tuesday, and both sides accused each other of violating the ceasefire.

Officials of the DGMOs of the two countries talked over hotline for five minutes during which both the sides accused each other of violating the ceasefire, Army sources said in Delhi.

“The government of Nawaz Sharif has been exercising utmost restraint and responsibility. We call upon the Indian government to immediately cease fire and shelling. It is sad that the Indian government has not been able to restrain its forces despite strong diplomatic protest by Pakistan,” Sartaj Aziz, Advisor to the Pakistan Prime Minister, said.

India, meanwhile, hit back saying it will give a fitting reply if Pakistan didn’t stop the firing.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh said: “We want to secure our borders. Pakistan had started action on the border. We have told Pakistan to stop ceasefire violation or else India will give a fitting reply. Pakistan should understand this.”

The Border Security Force (BSF), meanwhile, submitted a report on the ceasefire violations to the Home Ministry. Government sources said that it was clear that infiltration attempts were underway.

Meanwhile, thousands migrate to safer places as ceasefire violation by Pakistan continues. The report said that about 10,000 people left behind their shops and their cattle after more than 200 shells rained down on their houses, killing five civilians on Monday.

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said the targeting of civilian areas exposed the frustration of the Pakistani government after its failure to gain international attention on the Kashmir issue.

(With Agency Inputs)

Authors

Related posts

*

three × five =

Top }