London, June 27: The Islamic State terrorist group on Saturday claimed responsibility for a massacre in a Tunisian seaside resort that killed nearly 40 people, most of them British tourists.
According to reports, dozens more were wounded after a man pulled a gun from inside a beach umbrella and opened fire on crowds of tourists at the five-star Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel in the popular Mediterranean resort of Port el Kantaoui.
Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid reportedlt said that 38 people had been killed, revising down an earlier toll of 39 given by the health ministry.
This has been the biggest loss of British life in a militant attack since the July 2005 bombings in London when 52 died. Germans, Belgians and French were also among the dead.
The terror attack, along with the killings in France and Kuwait, sparked a chorus of international condemnation.
The White House has issued a statement, vowing to “fight the scourge of terrorism”, while UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said those responsible for the “appalling” attacks “must be swiftly brought to justice”.
(With ANI Inputs)