Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon appeals to Supreme Court to stop his hanging

Yakub Memon

New Delhi, July 23: Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon, whose curative petition had been rejected by the Supreme Court, on Thursday made an appealed to the apex court to stop his hanging on the grounds that a lower court’s death warrant is illegal.

“The death warrant issued by a trial court did not follow procedure and guidelines,” Yakub’s lawyer told the apex court.

The lawyer also cited the case in May when the death of warrants of an Uttar Pradesh couple was cancelled.

In response, the Supreme Court had then said that such warrants cannot be issued unless the convict has exhausted all legal options.

Memon, who is to be hanged on July 30, had last week filed a mercy petition to the Governor.

On July 27, 2007, Memon was sentenced to death by Justice (Retd.) Kode, who was then the special judge of the court set up under Terrorists and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act in Mumbai.

However, his sentence was upheld by a Supreme Court bench headed by then Chief Justice K G Balakrishnan on March 21, 2013.

On April 9 this year, a three-member bench headed by Justice A R Dave rejected his review plea. President Pranab Mukherjee had also rejected his mercy petition.

Memon was arrested on August 6, 1994, when he arrived from Kathmandu. He has been behind bars for over 20 years now.

Over 250 people were killed in the serial blasts that rocked India’s financial capital in 1993.

(With Agency Inputs)

Authors

Related posts

*

2 × four =

Top }