New Delhi, Jan 2: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday said to have thwarted terrorists’ likely plan to destroy valuable assets at the Pathankot IAF station.
According to reports, the security forces also neutralised fifth terrorist involved in the attack on the Pathankot Air Force Station.
After four terrorists were killed in a gun-battle, the forces launched a massive combing operation, and killed the fifth intruder.
In the operation that started around 3.30 am, five terrorists and three security personnel were killed, while six other injured have been admitted to a hospital.
Earlier, an IAF statement said: “due to the effective preparation and coordinated efforts by the security agencies, the group of terrorists was detected by the aerial surveillance platforms as soon as they entered the Pathankot IAF Station.”
The statement further said, “The infiltrators were immediately engaged and contained within a limited area, preventing them from entering the technical zone, where high value assets are parked. Through timely and prompt action by all agencies, the likely plan of the terrorists to destroy valuable assets of the IAF has been foiled.”
The Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Air Command is supervised and coordinated with the army, National Security Guard (NSG) and the Punjab Police for exchange of information and operational activity, the statement said.
Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar held a high-level meeting with National Security Advisor (NSA) Ajit Doval and the three service chiefs at South Block here on Saturday.
According to reports, Parrikar was briefed by the NSA and the three service chiefs on the overall security scenario.
Meanwhile, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh congratulated the armed forces for successfully neutralising all the five terrorists in Pathankot Operation.
Singh tweeted: “I congratulate our armed forces and other security forces on successfully neutralising all the five terrorists in ‘Pathankot Operation. Nation is proud of its brave security forces who have always rose to the occasion. I salute our forces on successful operation in Pathankot.”
Rajnath Singh also expressed condolences to the deceased family.
Earlier in the day, Rajnath condemned the attack and said that India would not show mercy to anyone who threatens the safety of the nation.
“We have also lost security personnel in Pathankot attack. My heartfelt condolences to their families. We can never forget their sacrifice,” he said.
Eight people including three security personnel were killed in a militant attack at Indian Air Force (IAF) base in Pathankot District of Punjab on Saturday.
(With Agency Inputs)