SC dismisses Yakub Memon`s curative petition, says due process was followed in issuing death warrant

1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon

New Delhi, July 29: The Supreme Court on Wednesday dismissed the curative petition of 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon.

A three-judge bench comprising Justices Dipak Misra, Prafulla C. Pant and Amitava Roy said proper procedure was followed in disposing of Yakub’s curative petition.

Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said: “The Supreme Court has today rejected curative petition filed by Yakub and dismissed all the contentions raised by him. The court held that due process was followed in issuing him the death warrant.”

Meanwhile, Maharashtra Governor Vidyasagar Rao has also rejected the mercy petition of Yakub Memon, who will be hanged tomorrow at 7 am.

Earlier on Wednesday, Yakub reportedly filed a fresh mercy plea with President Pranab Mukherjee, who had rejected it last year.

Chief Justice of India H.L. Dattu had constituted a larger three-judge bench after a two-judge bench of Justices A.R. Dave and Kurian Joseph on Tuesday gave a split verdict on Memon’s plea. While Justice Dave dismissed his plea without staying the death warrant, Justice Kurian differed and favoured a stay.

Meanwhile, authorities have imposed Section 144 within 500 meter radius of the Nagpur Central Jail, where Yakub Memon is expected to be hanged.

The security around the prison has reportedly been put on high alert in the wake of the hanging.

Ambulances and medical equipment were seen entering the prison premises, where Yakub’s brothers Suleman and Usman had reached earlier to meet him.

All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi has dubbed the verdict on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon as a huge disappointment and a setback.

Owaisi said: “The order of the Supreme Court is a huge disappointment and a setback because after more than eight-nine judges, not only of the Supreme Court but of the High Court, have stated that Yakub should not be given capital punishment, and that is why it is huge disappointment and a setback.”

“After having said this, if capital punishment given by the courts of law can bring closure to the innocent victims of the bomb blasts then I demand should also be given to the original sin, that is the destruction and demolition of the Babri masjid,” he added.

(With Agency Inpts)

Authors

Related posts

*

5 + 14 =

Top }